Monday, February 8, 2010

Chicken Pot Pie -Freezable

Kid tested......Hubby Approved!
2 Pillsbury Crust, Top & BottomBisquick Crust - Top only (Pic before baked)
I have been looking for a great Chicken Pot Pie recipe, but I didn't want to use the cream of chicken, so I looked it up at http://allrecipes.com/Recipe-Tools/Print/Recipe.aspx?RecipeID=26317&origin=detail&servings=8 . This recipe had over 2,800 ratings...pretty good eh? The only thing that I changed was the crust (I made two pies- one with Bisquick crust on top and one with the Pillsbury Pie Crust on top and bottom) and I also added some Garlic Salt.
TO FREEZE: I would only freeze the Pot Pie with the Pillsbury Crust...either top and bottom or top only. Do NOT cook before freezing. You can either thaw, or just cook it like you would a frozen chicken pot pie...about for 1 hour or until golden brown. Cover the edges of pie with foil.
If you are going to eat it that night for dinner you can use the Bisquick top. Super easy, the recipe is on the box. ** 1 Cup Mix, 2/3 cup Milk, and 1 Egg. Mix, then spoon over the top of the pie.
**Instead of cooking chicken at home, I would rather us the Rotisserie Chicken...already cooked and has tons of flavor! To make 2 pies, I used about 2/3 of the chicken. White and dark meat. I broke it up into pieces by hand.
Chicken Pot Pie:
1 LB. Skinless, Boneless Chicken Breast Halves, cubed (I used about 1/3-1/2 Rotis. Chicken)
1 Cup Carrots, coined
1/2 Cup Celery, sliced
1 Cup Frozen Peas
**Boil these ingredients for 15 mins. (when using the Rot. Chicken I just boil the veggies) I would cook the chicken separately anyways.
**In another pan, melt Butter and add onions until they are translucent:
1/3 cup Butter
1/3 cup Onion, chopped
*Then add:
1/3 cup Flour
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Garlic Salt or Powder
1/4 tsp Pepper
1/4 tsp Celery Seed
*Then slowly add:
1 14 oz. can of Chicken Broth (approx 1 3/4 cups)
2/3 cup Milk
Simmer this sauce on Med-Low until it becomes thick.
**Place the chicken mixture in the bottom of the pie crust (or in the bottom of the pie plate if only doing top crust). Pour hot white sauce over, then mix just a bit. Cover mix with top crust and seal the edges. Cut away excess crust and make several slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
**Bake @ 425 degrees (for 2 crusts) and 400 degrees for Bisquick Topping for 30-35 mins. or until golden brown. Cool 10 mins before serving. **Remember, if freezing with 2 crusts...do not bake! You can either cook thawed or frozen, and adjust cooking length.
**Maddie & Kylie LOVED this....YAY!!! To make it a bit easier you can always use the frozen bag of diced veggies, but I had the Carrots and Celery in the fridge and I didn't want them to go to waste!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment