Monday, February 8, 2010

Maddie's Birthday Cake 2010


So, Maddie wanted to have a Luau for her party this year. We all had a lot of fun. Instead of buying grass skirts for all of the kids I found an idea online. All I had to do was buy plastic table skirts, trim off the bottom (since the kids are so short), and then cut them to the average waist size of the girls. The table skirt has a built in waist with seams and tape (you could always use velcro). Next I took the scissors and made 1 inch slits from the bottom up to the waistline of the skirt. VOILA! You have a grass skirt...ok, a plastic skirt...but you can get it in any color. I ended up finding the table skirts at the Dollar Store in the Mall. I was so excited I didn't have to buy the table skirts at a party store!!! The girls loved them. I also bought some Leis and flowers from Oriental Trading Co. For the loose flowers I glues alligator clips to the back so they could wear them in their hair. Super cute!
For the cake.....Yes, they are Flip Flops. I got the idea from Betty Crocker or course!!! They even had a video on how to assemble them. Super easy! I did a double layer, Cherry Chip and Strawberry. The filling was a thin layer of Strawberry Jam & Vanilla Pudding. YUMMY! It was a perfect combination of fruitiness. Here's a pic of the cake!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment