Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Potato Chowder - FREEZABLE

Ok, this is a FABULOUS soup that my cousin made. I double the recipe, then after I have cooked the soup for the first 10 mins (out of the 20) I divide the soup in half (roughly 10 cups) and let cool in bowls before putting it into Freezer Bags. That way when you thaw it out you just have to boil it for 10 more minutes and add a new Roux mixture, don't forget the cheese. YUM!
In a large pot:

5 Cups Water
6 small Potatoes, peeled and cubed (when 2x I used 8 Med/Lg. Russet Potatoes)
1 small Onion, chopped (when 2x I used 1 med. onion)
1 big Carrot, coined (when 2x I used about 5 med. carrots)
2 Celery stalks, coined (when 2x I used 5 stalks)
1/2 cup Peas (optional...but yummy!)
4 Chicken Bullion Cubes (2x use 8)
1 Tbls. Parsley Flakes
2 tsp. Salt
1/4 tsp. Pepper
1/3 cup Butter
(optional- Corn)
(optional- broken Bacon)

Add all but Bacon, into a large pot. If 2x the batch I put it all in a Stock Pot. Bring to a boil and continue to boil for 20 mins. (If 2x, remember to take half out to cool then freeze.) Add bacon halfway through cook time. When 2x I will add 1 can of Chicken Broth.

ROUX

3/4 cup Butter
1/2 cup Milk
2/3 cup Flour

Meanwhile, in a separate pot add Butter & Milk and melt. Then add the 2/3 cup Flour to form a ROUX. This will be really thick, sometimes I add a bit extra milk so it mixes better in the soup.
Add to soup and let bubble for a few minutes until nice and thick.

**Add 2 cups Cheddar Cheese at the end and mix until melted.

You can use however many veggies you like. I love to add the peas and corn!!! And I always overload on the cheese! You can also use Chicken Broth if you would like.

No comments:

Post a Comment